Thursday, April 12, 2012

Christmas Project: DIY Play Kitchen

My DIY play kitchen on Christmas day!
Some of my play food I created.
The first project I would like to share is one that I finished at the end of last year. I wanted to get the little kids who come to my house (neices, nephews, neighbors) a play kitchen. I looked online for a very long time and found a few amazing kitchens but they cost upward of $200. I wasn't willing to spend that much. Instead I went to the local thrift store bought an old entertainment center and charged the power tools battery!

I ended up buying most of the material from thrift stores or from the local Restore. There really is no steps to share with you since it depends upon your materials and your desires. There are many great DIY play kitchens, search and see what "parts" you like from each. I will tell you a little about mine.

I bought a stainless steel bowl from Goodwill, and a faucet from Restore. I sawed/drilled the holes and secured it with epoxy caulk.
I bought silver contact paper from Lowes and used this for the dishwasher/oven.
I made my own pretend food (from felt- there are many tutorials if you need ideas). My favorite is the milk jugs. I found (at Walmart) some juices that came in mini-jugs and just painted the inside with acrylics paints. I also bought a lot of fruits/vegetables from a local thrift store!
I bought a clock and a phone to attach so that they could practice counting or saying their numbers.
I made the stove top from CD's (burners) and then dead bolts (stove knobs).

No comments:

Post a Comment