Monday, May 14, 2012

SURPRISE! Engagement Party: Invites

Warning: If your name is Shaya and you happen to be my best friend and it is before May 12th at 7:00 PM please exit this window and shut down your computer (just to be extra cautious!)

Alright... I don't plan on publishing this post until after her surprise engagement party but just to be safe I had to post a warning. :) I plan on sharing all of my ideas for this party over the next few posts so check back to see and of course come take a look at the pictures of the end result! A lot of my ideas were inspired through an intial idea on pinterest that I somehow wanted to incorporate into the party.

My first project was the invitations. I wanted to create a balloon invite. The problem was no matter how much I scoured the web I couldn't find a DIY balloon invite. They were always purchased and I realized why very quickly. When you write on ballon the ink always smears and comes off. I didn't let this stop me. I just didn't touch the ballon after I wrote the invite (I found that a regular ink pen smeared the least) and hoped that when my guests opened their invites they would blow up their balloons and there would be minimal ink smearing.

The supplies needed.

So here is my "step by step" guide to creating invites. Supplies needed: envelopes, cardstock, photo corners, pen, exacto knife, balloons, and your invite. Personally, I always make a photo print invite. I edited mine on Picnik- RIP :'( and printed it out at walgreens. 50 invites cost me a total of 5 dollars with a spring coupon. It is peronalized with a photo and you don't have to hand write each invite.


The first thing I did was make a template for cutting the cardstock so I could hang the balloon, than used the exacto knife to cut the two rectangles. I printed "inflate me" on top.

Template, card stock, final product with balloon attached.

Than I turned the card over and used the photo coners to attach the photo invite.




She said YES! Balloon invite
written with ink.
I did both the ballon and the invite because I knew that the balloon would smear and didn't want to trust important details of the party to the balloon. So I wrote a simple poem on it:


She said Yes!
A great party is planned,
You're invited too!
Just keep it a secret,
The couple doesn't have a clue!
Mighty binder clip!

To write on the balloons I simply blew them up, clipped the end with a binder clip. I used a word program to find the font I wanted.


I put the balloon through the invite, placed it in my addressed envelopes and sent them off. A regular stamp did the trick and everyone really enjoyed the invite!


 
Do you have your own creative invites? Or have a brilliant solution to the balloon smearing?

No comments:

Post a Comment