Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY: Wax Paper Chandelier

This is another craft that I made "for the engagement party" but in all honesty it was for me! :) I was inspired by a Pin for this one but spent a lot of time searching for different tutorials. I wanted to know the best, easiest, fastest, cheapest way and than pick the best way for me. I recommend you do the same before you start this project. There are different ways you can complete it and some might suit you better. Warning: This project takes time! I spent a grand total of 8-10 hours in the living room for this one. Not to mention the time gathering supplies or hanging it.


My supply list:
  • $1 white laundry basket ($ Store)
  • 2 boxes of wax paper ($ Store)
  • Iron
  • 2 long strips of parchment paper
  • Sewing machine with white thread
  • Cricut OR 2'' (or similar size) circle punch
  • Tape
  • Hot Glue
  • Snacks + Free Time! :)

1. Roll out 2 long pieces of parchment paper.


My "set up" in the living room. I ironed new sheets of wax
paper while the cricut was cutting. I placed my circles in
the bowl for easy access while sewing for the next step.
2. Lay 3 similar sized pieces (slightly smaller than the parchment paper will be best) pieces of wax paper in between your parchment.
3. Make sure all the paper is lined up and than iron the wax paper strips together. You are doing this to make a thicker piece of wax paper that has a more opaque look.

This shows the "why" behind the ironing process. You are
taking the wax paper and making it look more like parchment
paper by ironing a few sheets together. Somebody tell me why
we don't just use parchment paper for this project?
4. Once you have ironed them completely together (5 minutes was about how long it took to do a 5 foot section for me) cut the wax paper into sections. I did 12'' sections because I was using the Cricut.

5. Using your preferred method to cut circles from the wax paper. I taped down the wax paper to the Cricut mat, loaded it, Auto filled, and cut 20 circles per sheet.
This just shows my cricut mat with the wax paper taped down
and the final product being 20 perfectly cut circles.

6. Sew your circles together. This was my favorite part! As long as you keep a good pace you can just slide circles under the needle at the correct moment and finish this part very quickly. You want to keep the circles as close together as possible without overlapping them. Do not worry about perfection. Some of mine were overlapped and others had 1/4'' gap in between them.

7. Chose your desired length for each string of circles and cut them. (My number was 8 circles)

8. Hot glue your string of circles to the laundry basket starting from the middle and bottom and working your way up. I used the same length of 8 circles up the entire basket.

This shows me working up the basket. I didn't add
a string of circles to each level.

9. Add extra strips where needed to make it full enough.

This shows me adding another layer of circles to the top.
You can see the clear difference in fullness. I placed
a new string of circles in between my first layer.

10. Enjoy!



Want to enjoy a wax paper chandelier in your home without spending hours in your living room? I am thinking about making a few to sell on Etsy. Let me know if you would be interested. Have you made a wax paper 'capiz shell' chandelier? Have any tips or tricks? Share a photo- I would love to see it!
  

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for posting your HOW TO .... I was really struggling with how I was going to find 20 inexpensive hanging planter baskets! After seeing this, I know this project can even be less expensive then planned! Thanx for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Twenty!?! Making just one seemed daunting enough for me. Hope everything goes smoothly- I am sure you will love the end result.

      Delete
  3. Love this! Do you have any idea how many circles you cut? :) I am thinking of sending the supplies to my mother and have her sew them and assemble the chandeliers for my wedding reception! ;)

    ReplyDelete